Insurance and MOT needed to tax your vehicle
Your vehicle you must have suitable insurance cover and MOT test certificate before you can get the vehicle license (Vehicle tax). The wrong insurance cover, an overdue MOT, insurance certificates that are incorrect, misplaced or late arriving, these can all stop you from taxing your vehicle on time.
Insurance cover needed to tax your vehicle
In order to tax your vehicle, you must have insurance cover that:
- covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle
- covers your use of the vehicle for taxing purposes
- is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force
The insurance policy for your vehicle may allow you to drive any other vehicle with the owner's permission. However, your policy can't be used as evidence of suitable insurance to tax any other vehicle.
If your insurance cover for taxing purposes isn't clear, you may need to provide additional evidence. Please contact your insurance company for advice.
Insurance certificates and cover notes
These are usually a printed or laser-printed document, or a plastic credit card style document.
The following documents aren't acceptable:
- policy schedule
- renewal notice
- receipt for payment
- amended certificate or cover note - unless stamped or initialled by the insurer
- â€˜legal protectionâ€™ policy certificates
- foreign certificates
- photocopies or faxes
- insurance certificates downloaded directly from the internet by the policy holder
- Green Card (International Motor Insurance Card)
Lost, stolen or damaged insurance certificate
Get a duplicate insurance certificate or cover note from your insurance company.
Waiting for your insurance certificate to arrive in the post or update online
You can't tax your vehicle until your insurance certificate arrives or your insurance cover for your vehicle has been updated on the Motor Insurance Database. You must keep your vehicle off the road in the meantime.
If you are taxing your vehicle using the VIODVLA's vehicle online service, then you will need to wait until your insurance is updated before applying. You can check online to see if your insurance has updated.